Sunday, September 17, 2006

Match Point

Match Point is a movie I was skeptic of viewing, at first. I had reservations of watching a Woody Allen film because I have never seen any of his films before and I have heard that his films are rather bizarre. However, the actors and the little I knew of the plot prompted me to see it.

Match Point entails Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and Scarlett Johansson as love interests in the film that closely resembles the novel Crime and Punishment. "The movie stars Chris, a poor boy from Ireland who was on the tennis tour and now works in London as a club pro. He meets rich young Tom, who takes a lesson, likes him, and invites him to attend the opera with his family. During the opera, Tom's sister Chloe looks at Chris once with interest and the second time with desire. Tom's own girlfriend is Nola, an American who hopes to become an actress or Tom's wife. Tom and Chloe are the children of Alec and Eleanor Hewett, who have serious money.

Chloe likes Chris. She wants Chris. Her parents want Chloe to have what she wants. Alec offers Chris a job in "one of my companies" -- always a nice touch, that. Tom likes Nola, but to what degree, and do his parents approve?

All is decided in the fullness of time, and now I am going to become maddeningly vague in order not to spoil the movie's twists and turns, which are ingenious and difficult to anticipate."

The ending portion of Ebert's quote depicts the film's nature perfectly. The film has many unexpected scenes, which allows the audience to stay attentive and excited during the entire movie. The movie depicts two genres we will review in class: the noir and the romance.

I chose this specific review from Roger Ebert because of the format and content in his writing. The film critique is formal, with an educated tone. There are also times when he is sarcastic in the piece. I chose this because it is similar to my writing style with the eloquent word choice and personal touches that are put in the paper.

No comments: